Welcome to this week’s top six results and happenings:
1. Congratulations to Tom Latham
Not the best of tests for New Zealand in Abu Dhabi, but one definite highlight was the maiden test century scored in tough conditions by Tom Latham. Congratulations from everyone here Tom!
2. Wins to Premiers, Dubai Diamond Traders, our three 3B teams and the Junior Premiers
Another weekend with lots of wins. The club’s good start to the season is reflected in positions of most of our teams after the first six weeks of cricket – see below.
3. Honours Board – remarkable innings from Mike Vorster
Three players made our Honours Board this week. James Jacques scored 51 for the Mariners in their victory over Sydenham All Stars. The consistent Blake Stocks made the board again for his 34 retired in BWU2’s win over Medbury.
However, the outstanding performance was from the Brawlers’ Mike Vorster who scored 107* out of 156/5 in the defeat of LPW Vipers. The next highest score was 9!
Mike has shot up the Al Brown leaderboard to sit third.
4. Rob Gillespie is new Al Brown leader
The Cannons’ Rob Gillespie is our new Al Brown leader. He holds a narrow lead over David Sewell from the Premiers. There are 4 Premiers, 3 Cannons, 2 Brawlers and 1 Presidents Fox in the top ten. See who they are here.
Rob Gillespie – Al Brown leader
5. How are things going after six weeks?
After the first six Saturdays:
- The Premiers lead the two day competition. David Sewell is second on the grade MVP leaderboard, with Scott Inglis fifth;
- The 2As are second in the two day competition. Jordan Buchanan is second on the grade MVP leaderboard;
- The 2Bs have had a tough start to the season, and are eighth on the two day table;
- The Presidents Foxes lie second equal out of ten teams. Hamish Kember is second on the grade MVP leaderboard, and Mike Wheeler third;
- In the 3B grade, the Cannons lead the 14 teams, with the Brawlers third and the Mariners seventh. Rob Gillespie is second on the grade MVP leaderboard, with Mike Vorster third and Caleb Smith fourth. Burnside has 13 players in the top 20;
- A creditable start for our new team, the Dubai Diamond Traders, who sit fifth of fourteen teams in the T20 Cavaliers grade. Nick Tinning is second on the grade MVP leaderboard.
6. This weekend – T20 Premier tournament, and Canterbury Kings in action.
This Saturday and Sunday, we host all 8 Premier teams in the annual T20 tournament at Burnside Oval. There are three round robin matches, followed by the final on Sunday afternoon.
Also on Sunday afternoon, the Canterbury Kings host the Otago Volts (Jesse Ryder and co.) in a T20 at Hagley Oval, starting at 2.30pm.
Have a great cricketing weekend.