Greetings to all BWCUCC players, supporters and friends of the club.
Another frustrating weekend with weather and results not all going our way. A number of teams did play however, including the Premiers who got their one-day campaign off to a start on Labour Monday. Read all about the wins and losses in this week’s newsletter…
In this week’s newsletter:
- Senior cricket round up
- Junior cricket round up
- Honours Board performances
- Two Burnside players selected in Canterbury ‘A’ squad
- Draw for this weekend
- Notice of BWCUCC AGM – 31 October 2016
- Cricket Live Day 2016
- BWCUCC Fundraising raffle
- One on one coaching available from JJ Naude
- Al Brown MVP competition update
Senior cricket round up:
Burnside Premiers continued their match against Lancaster Park on Saturday. Play got underway after a brief delay due to the late-week rain, with LPW resuming from 197/3. Park scored 277/7 in their 60 overs. In reply, Burnside scored 128/8 before play was ended with LPW picking up first-innnings points. Player of the match was LPW’s Theo van Woerkom.
In their opening one-day game, the Premiers were hosted by Old Boys Collegians at Elmwood Park. It wasn’t a great day for the Prems, eventually going down by 5 wickets after being dismissed cheaply. You can review the scorecard on CricHQ.
All Senior results from the weekend:
- BWU Premiers (192/9 & 128/8) lost on 1st innings and drew with LPW (277/7)
- BWU 2A (96/10) lost to St Albans (107/10)
- BWU 2B (98/10) lost to Riccarton (99/4)
- BWU Presidents Foxes (109/10) lost to Merivale Papanui (Identity Signs) (163/4)
- BWU Dubai Diamond Traders (141/6) beat Hornby Rats (136/7)
- BWU Strikers (118/8) lost to St Albans Cavaliers Gold (1197/7)
- The BWU Believers beat The Predators CC by forfeit
- On Labour Monday: BWU Premiers (99/10) lost to OBC (101/5)
Junior cricket round up:
- BWU 1 – No result available
- BWU 2 (153/4) beat Heathcote Thunder (97/6)
- BWU 3 (48/8 & 4/0) beat Sydenham Patrick Patriots (30/6 & 20/3)
- BWU 4 – No result available
- BWU 5 (63/4 & 74/4) lost to OBC15 (73/0 & 93/2)
- BWU 6 – (41/0 & 41/0) beat Sumner Stingrays (17/0 & 45/0)
- BWU 7 (23/0 & 21/0) lost to OBC29 (55/0 & 57/0)
- BWU 8 (32/2 & 12/3) lost to OBC27 (63/3 & 52/5)
- BWU 9 (78/3) beat Sydenham Turner N Stars (76/9)
- BWU 10 (48/4 & 32/4) lost to Halwsell 12 (63/2 & 64/3)
Honours Board performances:
Congratulations to these players for their outstanding individual efforts this weekend:
- Josh Kenny 37* for BWU2 Juniors vs. Heathcote
- “Player X” 53 for Dubai Diamond Traders
- M Stagg 4 for 4 off 5.0 overs for BWU 9 Juniors vs. Sydenham Turner N Stars
For the full-season Honours Board listing, click here.
Two Burnside players selected in Canterbury A squad
Congratulations to senior players Matt Farrant and Cam Hawkins for their selection for the Canterbury Cricket ‘A’ squad. See their names and the rest of the players from around Christchurch in the online squad announcement. Canterbury A will play in the following fixtures this summer:
- Sunday 27 November vs. Canterbury Country (Mainpower Oval)
- Thursday 1 December vs. Sydney Thunder (Hagley Oval)
- Monday 5 December vs. Otago A (Mainpower Oval)
- Tuesday 6 December vs. Otago A (Mainpower Oval)
- Tuesday 3 January – Tuesday 10 January – National tournament (Lincoln)
- Tuesday 21 February – Thursday 23 February vs. Auckland A (Auckland)
- Friday 24 February – Tuesday 7 March vs. NSW A (NSW)
Draw for this weekend:
You can view the full draw for all (Junior and Senior) Burnside teams for this weekend by following this link.
In the event of bad weather, cancellations will be broadcast on Newstalk ZB 1098, and posted to the CJCA website or CMC website, and the CMC Facebook page. Keep an eye out for any draw or ground changes on the Burnside Cricket Facebook page.
Notice of BWCUCC AGM – 31st October 2016
The 111th AGM of Burnside West Christchurch University Cricket Club will be held at the Burnside Cricket Club Pavilion, 336 Avonhead Read, at 7:00pm on Monday 31 October.
All members, life members, honorary members, sponsors, friends of the club are warmly invited to attend. A copy of the 111th Annual Report, as well as a full agenda for the AGM is available here.
Apologies can be passed on via email, or by notifying a member of the BWCUCC committee.
BWCUCC Cricket Live Day 2016 Fundraiser
BWCUCC is proud to be associated with the Annual Cricket Live fundraiser CLD2016. To boost awareness of the day, we have set up a Givealittle campaign with a very modest target… but we still need your help to get there. The Cricket Live Foundation is a great cause, and with your small donation we can help make a huge difference in the lives of young cricketers living with far fewer opportunities than we take for granted in New Zealand. Follow this link to donate.
BWCUCC Fundraising Raffle:
A reminder to all club members to sell your raffle tickets. Ticketbooks should have been distributed last week (contact your team manager or captain if you have not received a ticket booklet to sell); and all stubs and proceeds need to be returned to the club by the 11th November 2016. It is expected that all club members attempt to sell at least one full booklet each.
With a total prize pool valued at over $2,500, there are some great prizes up for grabs; we want thank our generous sponsors for their contributions:
- Scenic Hotel Group
- Teltrac Communications
- Elite Meats
- Eminence Design
- Peter Burke
- Doug Allcock
- One Good Horse
For more information contact Dan Vedder.
One on one cricket coaching available – JJ Naude
Current Burnside Premier player and Junior cricket coach JJ Naude is available for paid one-on-one coaching sessions for junior and senior players alike. If you have an area of your game that you want to work on, feel free to contact JJ and see what can be done to improve your skills.
JJ is a top/middle order Batsman and Right-arm Off-Spinner from Potchefstroom in South Africa, who has played cricket to a high-level in South Africa, England, and now New Zealand.
JJ is an accomplished coach holding a Cricket South Africa level 2 coaching qualification. He has worked during the 2011 and 2012 winter at the Werner Faul provincial cricket clinic coaching young cricketers ages 13–18 years. He has also worked at the University of the Free State (Kovsies) as a fielding, fitness and conditioning expert. Contact JJ via email on email@example.com, cellphone on …, or come have a chat at the club rooms.
Al Brown MVP competition update:
As a result of some of excellent junior performances combined with the inability of many of the men’s team captains to follow basic instructions and use CricHQ properly, the junior players at the club continue to dominate the early Al Brown standings…
- Molly Stagg (16.06) – Junior
- Eliza McIntosh (15.58) – Junior
- Cam Hawkins (15.34)
- Liam Winn (15.21)
- Josh Jones (13.56)
Click here to view the complete Al Brown Top 10, or head to CricHQ for the detailed points table for the entire club.
Enjoy your cricket and have a great weekend!