Welcome to the latest BWCUCC newsletter. As we draw closer to the last weeks of the season, there is plenty going on . Plans are underway for end of season events, competition prizes and club awards are being decided – and there is plenty to play for.
In this edition:
- Senior & Junior cricket round-up
- Happy Birthday Graham Dowling
- Prizegiving details
- Last game dates
- Draws for the weekend
- Al Brown MVP update
Senior & Junior cricket round-up
BWU Premiers took on Old Boys in a two day match on Saturday. Batting first, OBC scored 148/9 declared, while evergreen Scott Inglis took 4/31. In reply our boys fell 6 runs short on the first innings chase, and were dismissed for 142. Tinus Huyser scored, but when he was out at 98/5, the final five wickets fell for 44 runs. In their second innings OBC were 51/3 at stumps.
In Presidents grade, The Foxes were playing in their second ‘grade day’ of the season, and celebrated a fine win against Sydenham Cardinals. The highlight of the day was the team dentist Chris “Arkle” Kennedy, carrying his bat with an unbeaten 106*. The Foxes scored 276 in their 40 overs, with the wiry Kennedy combining with the somewhat-less-wiry Jared Croft (70 off 45, including 5 sixes) like Jack Sprat and his wife. Between the two of them, they licked the Sydenham Cardinal platter of medium and slow bowlers clean. The match was cleaned up quickly by the BWU bowlers, dismissing Cardinals for 121 and returning the ‘Fail Bail’ to the Sydenham mantelpiece for the winter.
A summary of matches from the weekend is available on CricHQ:
- BWU Premiers vs Old Boys Collegians (two-day match, day two this weekend)
- BWU 2A vs St Albans (two-day match, day two this weekend)
- BWU 2B vs Riccarton (two-day match, day two this weekend)
- BWU Cannons (160/5) vs Predators CC (156/8) – BWU won by 5 wickets
- BWU Daredevils (175) vs Lancaster Park Vipers – BWU won by 73 runs
- BWU Presidents Foxes (276/3) vs Cardinals (121/10) – BWU won by 155 runs
- BWU T2o DDT (106/2) vs Hornby Rats (103/8) – BWU won by 8 wickets
- BWU T20 Strikers (200/5) vs St Albans (161/3) – BWU won by 39 runs
- BWU T20 Boomers (145/7) vs Sydenham Goats (144/9) – BWU won by 3 wickets
- BWU T20 Ghetto Hustlers vs Team Boon – Team Boon won
- BWU 2 (132/2) vs Marist Harewood (131/7) – BWU won by 6 wickets
- BWU 3 (51/4 & 65/4) vs Halswell (126/3 & 122/3) – Halswell won by 132 runs
- BWU 4 (68/0 & 61/5) vs Sydenham (99/3 & 35/0) Sydenham won
- BWU 5 (150/9) vs Sumner (167/2) – Sumner won by 17 runs
- BWU 9 (85/4) vs Tai Tapu (84/8) – BWU won by 6 wickets
- BWU 10 (107/8) vs Halswell (172/2) – Halswell won by 65 runs
Happy 80th Birthday Graham Dowling
BWU legend Graham Dowling celebrated his 80th birthday this week. Dowling served the club for over 60 years, and was a leading BWU player and administrator, and served as club patron for many years. Graham is widely known for his achievements as firstly a cricketer with BWU, Canterbury and New Zealand, and his further service as CEO of NZ Cricket and as an International Test Referee.
Graham had an extremely impressive first class and international cricketing career, and an almost unmatched (by any country) batting record against India through the 1960’s. His profile on Cricinfo reads: Graham Dowling, an accomplished opener and superb fielder, was a regular in the New Zealand side throughout the 1960s and a capable captain who led his country 19 times. He made three Test hundreds, all against India, with the highlights being when he scored 143 at Dunedin in 1967-68 and followed with 239 in 556 minutes at Christchurch to lead his side to their first win over the Indians (it was also his first game as captain). He finished the series with 471 runs at 58.87 and the season with 966 runs, at the time a New Zealand domestic record.
Happy Birthday Graham.
Senior prizegiving – Saturday 25th March @ 7pm
All senior club members and supporters are invited to the end of season prizegiving, to be held at the Burnside clubrooms on the last Saturday of the season – Saturday March 25th from 7pm to 11pm. More details to follow soon. Come and celebrate the season with your club, and look back on the season’s successes. It is sure to be a big night.
Junior prizegiving – Sunday 19th March @ 4pm
All junior club members, parents, coaches and supporters are warmly invited to the Junior club prizegiving, to be held at the Burnside clubrooms on Sunday 19th March at 4pm. Food and light refreshments will be provided, and trophies for teams and players will be awarded.
Last game dates
The final playing days for the BWU 2016/2017 season are as follows.
- Senior cricket: Saturday 25th March
- Junior Saturday morning cricket: Saturday 25th March
- Junior Friday night cricket: Friday 24th March
Draws for this weekend:
The full draw for all Burnside junior and senior teams for this weekend is also available on CricHQ. Check it out!
Al Brown MVP Update
The Premiers still have a stranglehold on the top 10 in this years Al Brown (Arun, their scorer should probably take out the trophy since the main reason for this is that each of their games is fully documented in CricHQ, which = maximum points are available to players)…
|3||Chris (El Capitan) Peters||Cannons||11||24.59||52.78||10.66||88.03|
View this season’s complete Al Brown points table here. If you are not in list, make sure you captain (or the person designated by your captain) is filling a full scorecard on CricHQ each weekend. No scorecard = No points = No questions. If you are not sure please ask Shane Young, Arun, or Gareth).