Welcome to the latest BWCUCC newsletter.
In this edition:
- Results from the weekend
- Tom Latham stars for the Black Caps
- Black Caps playing at Hagley Oval (no club cricket this weekend)
- NWYC Cricket Camp
- Al Brown MVP update
- Senior Player Profile: JJ Naude
Results from the weekend
Adult grade teams were back in action with mostly T20 games at the weekend. The Premiers had a dominant weekend with two good victories against OBC and Heathcote CC.
Summary scorecards from all Burnside teams:
- Premiers (119/7) beat OBC (117/7) by 3 wickets
- Premiers (173/3) beat Heathcote CC (136/7) by 37 runs
- BWC 2A (110/10) lost to Lancaster Park CC (160/9) by 50 runs
- BWC 2B (122/10) lost to Marist Harewood (175/6) by 53 runs
- BWC 2B (103/10) lost to OBC (161/6) by 58 runs
- BWC Cannons (117/10) lost to Richmond CC (128/10) by 11 runs
- BWC Believers (100/6) lost to Southern Districts (138/4) by 38 runs
- BWC DDT (121/5) beat Richmond (120/6) by 5 wickets
- BWC Strikers (122/7) beat Heathcote Bangers (121/8) by 3 wickets
- BWC Presidents Foxes (203/7) lost to East Shirley Gold (206/7) by 3 wickets
- BWC Punjab Daredevils (83/10) lost to New Brighton (139/9) by 56 runs
- BWC Boomers (125/10) beat Hornby (95/10) by 30 runs
- BWC TMF (184/8) beat New Brighton (118/8) by 66 runs
Full results from the weekend are available at CricHQ.
Tom Latham stars for the Black Caps
Burnside’s Tom Latham played a starring role in the incredible come-from-behind victory against Bangladesh at the Basin Reserve in Wellington.
After scoring 595-8 in their first innings, Bangladesh suffered the embarrassment of becoming the team to score the highest first innings total to result in a defeat in the history of test cricket. It was Tom’s man-of-the match winning 177 in NZ’s first innings that turned the tide of the test. The previous highest was Australia’s 586 vs England at SCG In 1894-95!
Black Caps at Hagley Oval this weekend
The Black Caps are in Christchurch this weekend for the second test against Bangladesh, and hoping (weather permitting) for a home series sweep. Tickets for the test are available at Ticketek. Remember – no club cricket on Saturday, so get down to the oval to support Tom Latham and his mates!
NWYC Cricket Camp
Despite the threat of rain from the weather bomb this week, the NWYC Cricket Camp went ahead under mostly sunny skies. Thanks to all the players and coaches and helpers involved.
Al Brown MVP Update
There has been a bit of movement outside the top ten in the Al Brown competition with Premiers in top 10 spots starting to coming under fire as the rest of the club gathers momentum (and game time). A string of regular contributions from the Presidents Foxes’ Jeff Roy has seen him climb four spots into 6th. Newcomers from the Boomers’ Regan Wilson and Cannons’ Kyle Knowles round out the top 10. Premier allrounder Matt Farrant has a tight grip on the trophy at the season half-way point with his bowling performances alone enough to fend off the chasing pack.
View this season’s complete Al Brown points table here. If you are not in list, make sure you captain (or the person designated by your captain) is filling a full scorecard on CricHQ each weekend. No scorecard = No points = No questions. If you are not sure please ask Shane , Arun , or Gareth).
The Avonhead Tavern is Christchurch’s newest redeveloped sports bar. Proudly serving the communities in the west of the city it is a modern take on the tried and trusted. The Avonhead Tavern decor is earthy, warm & welcoming with lots of natural timber finishes and a great outdoor area.
Sporting fixtures are always showing on one of our 20 screens. Entertainment is provided by state of the art TAB and Gaming facilities.
Senior Player Profile: JJ Naude
Name: JJ Naude
Sponsored by: Avonhead Tavern
Occupation: Coach and Personal Trainer
Preferred Occupation: Professional Cricketer
Seasons at BWCUCC: 1 (this is my first summer)
Funniest Player: Matt Hay
Scariest Player: Tinus Huyser
Best Bowling: 3/32
Favourite Players: Scott Inglis
Favourite BWC Moment: Karaoke Night with Shane Young
Which Hollywood Star would play you in a movie: If he was still alive, Paul Walker
If I could be one person for a day I would be: David Hasselhoff in an episode of Knight Rider…