Welcome to the latest BWCUCC newsletter.
In this edition:
- Senior & Junior cricket round-up
- Draws for the weekend
- Friday night cricket restarts
- Al Brown MVP update
- Senior Player Profile: Cam Hawkins
Senior & Junior cricket round-up
BWC Premiers picked up where they left off before Christmas, getting back into their two-day competition with a dominant home performance against defending champions Sydenham on Saturday. The old and the new combined with seasoned seamer Matt Farrant and debutant Alex McDuff combining for eight wickets to skittle Sydenham for just 90. Burnside put themselves in control with an emphatic batting effort, amassing 301-8 declared from 55 overs. Farrant, batting at seven, top-scored with a valuable 68, while South African JJ Naude , opener Carl Huyser , and Cam Hawkins  all provided decent contributions. Our lads will fancy their chances of an outright win, leading by 186 runs with Sydenham having 10 second innings wickets left.
A summary of the weekend’s Senior results on CricHQ:
- Premiers (301/8) vs. Sydenham (90/10 & 25/0) match still in progress
- 2A v Old Boys Collegians – match still in progress
- 2B v Lancaster Park – match still in progress
- Cannons (167/3) beat Sydenham 3A (164/10) by 7 wickets
- Presidents Foxes (206/10) beat Old Boys Collegians (119/9) by 87 runs
- Punjab Daredevils T20 69/10 lost to Merivale LBJ (259/5) by 191 runs
- Ghetto Hustlers T20 80/8 lost to Souther Districts 145/1 by 65 runs
- Strikers T20 (115/6) lost to Marist Harewood (130/5) by 15 runs
- Boomers T20 (180/7) lost to Marist Harewood (182/8) by 2 wickets
- Believers T20 (96/8) lost to Heathcote 99/3 by 7 wickets
Junior Results on CricHQ:
- BWU2 (116/9) lost to Old Boys Collegians (129/9) by 13 runs
- BWU3 (81/9) lost to East Shirley (196/2) by 115 runs
- BWU4 beat Merivale Papanui scorecard
- BWU9 (91/1) beat OBCC Gold (90/9) by 9 wickets
- BWU10 (168/5) beat OBC (122/3) by 46 runs
Friday night cricket starts tonight.
A reminder to all parents that Friday-night cricket resumes tonight (10th February) at 6PM. See you there!
Al Brown MVP Update
The leaderboard becomes trickier to navigate in this half of the season with two-day games only assigning points at the conclusion of the matches in play. Premier allrounder Matt Farrant is likely still in control with a haul of wickets and plenty of runs in the ongoing two-day match against Sydenham, but the afternoon grade players are drawing ever closer…
View this season’s complete Al Brown points table here. If you are not in list, make sure you captain (or the person designated by your captain) is filling a full scorecard on CricHQ each weekend. No scorecard = No points = No questions. If you are not sure please ask Shane Young, Arun, or Gareth).
Senior Player Profile: Cam Hawkins
Sponsored by: SB Global
Occupation: Cricket Express
Preferred Occupation: Living off an inheritance
Seasons at BWCUCC: 1
Funniest Player: Scott Inglis (until he fined me for submitting this player profile late).
Scariest Player: Matt Hay on a night out
Best Bowling: –
Highest Score: 241*
Favourite Players: Chris Lynn
Favourite BWC Moment: Notching my first win with the Lions.
Which Hollywood Star would play you in a movie: The Rock
If I could be one person for a day I would be: John Butler