Welcome to the final BWCUCC newsletter of 2017.
In this edition:
- Match reports and results from the weekend
- Senior Player Profile: Matt Hay
- Al Brown Update
Match reports from last weekend
There were some big results in the final weekend of cricket for 2017 for the senior club:
Premier Men win outright and Matt Farrant takes a hatty…
Our Premier men played out the second day of their two day match against St. Albans. After being bowled out on day 1 for 116, Matt Farrant took a fantastic 6-wicket haul to claim 6/38, and was ably backed up by Scott Inglis with 4/34. Saints were bowled out only 5 runs ahead. In our second innings, BWU delared 9 down for 178 (Cam Hawkins 63), setting Saints 174 to win. What followed couldn’t have been predicted with Burnside bowling Saints out for 76. Matt Farrant took a further 5 wickets including a hat-trick to claim 5/25 and finish up with eleven wickets for the match.
And another outright win for the 2As…
Our 2A men continued the winning vibe with an excellent outright win against Merivale Papanui. MP batted first and scored 193. In reply BWU scored 172/10 (War Machine McKean 56), conceding a 21 run first innings deficit. In their second innings, MP could only manage 85 with the wickets shared around. Burnside raced to victory scoring the required runs in only 16 overs. Well played to Steve McKean and his men.
Two tons for 2Bs vs. CBHS…
In a friendly match between BWU 2Bs and CBHS there were some big scores. Captain for the day Geoff Fosbender reports…
We played CBHS in a friendly match since they defaulted to us last week for the two day match that was meant to happen. BWU lost the toss and got put into bat. We lost an early wicket to be 5 for 1, bringing together Will Kennedy and Tom Dunlop for the partnership of the season with both young men scoring a century. BWCUCC finished the innings 246 for 5, taking full advantage of the short boundaries. CBHS came out and backed themselves to chase the score down and batted aggressively, with a couple half centuries for their top order. Our bowlers chipped away, and with a final flurry of wickets we were able to put the final nail in the coffin – bowling CBHS out for 187.
- BWU Premier Men (116/10 & 178/9) beat St Albans (121/10 & 76/10)
- BWU 2A Men (172/10 & 107/2) beat Merivale Papanui (193/8 & 85/10)
- BWU Cannons (130/7) beat Predators CC (127/10)
- BWU Presidents Foxes (198/4) beat MP Bishop Bros Presidents (168/10)
- BWU Boomers (101/10) lost to 3B Sydenham Goats (203/6)
- BWU Punjab Daredevils (128/10) beat LPW 3D Vipers (89/10)
- BWU T20 Ghetto Hustlers (79/9) lost to OBC Team Boon (81/2)
- BWU T20 DDT (188/3) beat Hornby T20 Rats (81/8)
- BWU T20 Strikers (90/7) beat St Albans Super Swingers
- BWU 1 (120/9) lost to OBC 5 (193/9)
- BWU 2 (149/6) beat Sydenham Bennett Bears (132/4)
- BWU 3 (104/6) lost to Sumner Superkings (177/8)
- BWU 4 lost to St Thomas of Canterbury 4
- BWU 5 (53/4 & 20/4) lost to Sydenham Wilson D Vipers (96/2 & 77/4)
- BWU 7 (25/2 & 32/3) lost to Halswell 10 (28/2 & 30/3) by 1 run!
- BWU 8 (52/2 & 25/2) lost to Southern Districts 4 (61/3 & 61/3)
- BWU 9 (202/8) tied with St Albans (202/8)
- BWU 10 (67/3) beat Sumner Straits (66/6) by 1 run!
Senior Player Profile: Matt Hay
Sponsored by: Media Mix Solutions Ltd.
Name: Matt HayNickname: MataiAge: 19Occupation: StudentPreferred Occupation: Sports BroadcasterSeasons at BWCUCC: Since age 5Funniest Player: Scott InglisScariest Player: Tinus HuyserBest Bowling: 5/21Best Batting: 32Favourite Players: Ross TaylorFavourite BWC Moment: Shane Young Slip ‘n SlideWhich Hollywood Star would play you in a movie: Leonardo DiCaprioIf I could be one person for a day I would be: Matt Farrant (He’s perfect)
Al Brown Competition Update
Plenty of movement this week with some big results form two day games coming in as well as consistent performers starting to make their way into the top 10. The biggest mover was Matt Farrant making his way past Chris Peters to Number 1 spot. In the junior cricket scene Molly Stagg has bounced back into contention, and for the Pressies, the mercurial Jeff Roy has edged his way into the top 10 after battling away for a few weeks.
|6||Joshua Kenny||BWU 2||7||19.7||10.55||3.76||34.01|
|8||Molly Stagg||BWU 9||6||0.03||25.44||7.52||32.98|
View this season’s complete Al Brown points table here. If you are not in list, make sure you captain (or the person designated by your captain) is filling a full scorecard on CricHQ each weekend. No scorecard = No points = No questions. If you are not sure please ask Shane , Arun , or Gareth).
No cricket this weekend.
No cricket this weekend folks. Spend time with your families and see you in January! Have a Merry Christmas and a safe holiday.
Thanks to our awesome sponsors for their generous support this season: